Digital Powys Strategy: Digital Places
Powys is a unique county with dispersed communities that stretch from the north to south (Welshpool to Ystradgynlais) and east to west (Knighton to Machynlleth).
What we've done
- We worked with Llandrindod Town Council to help them set up a free Wi-Fi network for residents and visitors for the whole town.
- Bus passengers using the T4 and T6 routes in Powys can use a new real time system, which helps track where and how far away a bus is at any given moment in time.
- In addition, we supported a community in Crai with very poor broadband connectivity to access funding from the Welsh Government's 'Access Broadband Cymru' scheme to get their own mast to enable them to get access to superfast broadband.
What are we going to do?
- Make the infrastructure of our towns smart and digitally enabled
- Help those without broadband to connect
- Support communities to gain digital skills
- Collaborate with businesses to develop the digital care sector and apprenticeships
- Develop ways to digitally encourage tourism
- Create opportunities through a digital academy