Apply for a parking suspension
A parking suspension allows a parking area to be temporarily suspended for a period of time in breach of a traffic regulation order, where applicable, in order to carry out specific work to an:
- adjacent property,
- essential highway maintenance,
- statutory utilities works,
- special events (including weddings and funerals) or
- to facilitate the free flow of traffic.
Applications will only be considered where there will be minimal impact on other road users, pedestrians, and local businesses.
Restricted parking areas include:
- Limited waiting bays
- Loading bays
- Disabled bays
- Doctors' permit bays
- Double and single yellow lines
- Resident permit bays
Issuing a temporary suspension permit, together with associated signage, will notify the Civil Enforcement Officers that the parking area, in question, has been temporarily suspended. It has been suspended for specific works, or an event, and that permission has been approved for any contravention of restrictions which may be in place.
How we assess an application
When assessing the application, we will look at:
- What is the impact of approving the application, for example, we will check to see if there are any road works or any other suspensions which have been approved in that area
- What are the road safety implications
- Whether you have paid the correct fee
We will not issue a suspension (other than in very exceptional circumstances) for:
- bus stops and areas reserved for specific users, e.g. taxi ranks
- school or pedestrian crossing areas marked by zig-zag lines
- locations within 50 metres of a signal-controlled junction
- locations where there may be a serious disruption or hazard to traffic or pedestrians
- instances where there are doubts concerning the validity of the application
How long will it take?
We must receive a correctly completed application form and payment a minimum of seven working days in advance of the proposed start date. This is to enable proper consideration to be given to the proposal, consultation with other services and for a site inspection to be carried out.
A suspension costs £330.00 plus a non-refundable administrative fee of £77.20.
Only applications for up to a maximum of 14 days will be considered. If a period of more than 14 days is required, then advice from Parking Services would be required.
If you lose your suspension, replacements cost £25.
To apply for a suspension, you will need to demonstrate that:
- You have a real need for the parking area, in question, to be suspended, for example to perform a task or carry out a job
- You do not have a realistic alternative method of carrying out the works or holding an event
Every application is considered on its individual merits, therefore, please ensure that as much information as possible is provided when applying for a suspension.