Destination bilingual: the benefits of choosing a Welsh-medium education
Across Wales more and more parents are choosing a Welsh-medium education for their children so that they can become bilingual and fluent in Welsh and English. Parents don't need to be able to speak Welsh for their children to attend Welsh-medium education - children are immersed in the Welsh language at school and become fluent quickly.
Bilingualism can bring many benefits to your child:
- Learners who understand more than one language can think more creatively and with more flexibility and tend to do better in IQ tests
- Being bilingual has a positive effect on the brain by keeping it active later in life
- Being bilingual can reduce the risk of dementia
- In Wales, being able to speak Welsh fluently is a valuable extra skill which will give your child a head start when looking for work
- Being bilingual gives access to two different cultures and two worlds of experience
- Bilingual people find it easier to learn a third language and show more tolerance towards other cultures
- Across Wales bilingual children tend to achieve better results - including in English
View our Destination Bilingual booklet to read about the benefits of choosing a Welsh-medium education (PDF) [864KB]
View our Welsh Homework Help booklet (PDF) [534KB] to read about ways to support your child with their Welsh-medium homework.
Useful information sources for parents
We have rounded up all the useful information sources in one place
Powys County Council Welsh Language Strategies
Learn about our plans to improve Welsh Language education in Powys