Replacement Local Development Plan Candidate Sites
Powys Local Planning Authority (LPA) opened the Call for Candidate Sites, for six weeks from 1st November to 13th December 2022.
The process enabled all interested parties to submit potential development sites for inclusion in the Powys Replacement Local Development Plan (Replacement LDP). The LPA will assess the Candidate Sites to determine if they are suitable, or not, for inclusion in the Replacement LDP.
Guidance and Information relating to the Candidate Site Process
Candidate Site submissions should have regard to the following guidance and information:
- - which provide guidance on completing each question on the form and on the additional information that needs to be submitted in support of the submission.
- The interactive Constraints Map - to identify any key policy and designated site constraints. Site proposers will need to refer to the Constraints Map in order to respond to relevant questions on the Candidate Site Submission Form. Please note that this data should NOT be relied on for legal purposes and may not be fully up to date with changes made to the constraints data in the County. The Council can accept no responsibility for any error or inaccuracy which may arise'.
- - which set out the process, assessment criteria, and methodology to be used by the LPA to determine the suitability of Candidate Sites for inclusion as Allocated Sites within the Replacement LDP. Appendix 1 of this document sets out the framework to be used for assessing sites as part of the Integrated Sustainability Appraisal process.
- - this sets out the process that will be used to assess the viability of Candidate Sites. The LPA expects site proposers to submit an Initial Site Viability Assessment, using the Development Viability Model (DVM) developed regionally, together with supporting viability information, at the Call for Candidate Sites stage. This Guidance should be used alongside the User Guide accompanying the model and 'how to' videos prepared to assist with completion of the model. To obtain a copy of the DVM for a specific Candidate Site, with the accompanying User Guide, please contact the LPA at firstname.lastname@example.org giving the site address details and a location plan.
- Local Landscape Character Assessment - prepared as evidence to inform the Powys Replacement LDP. It provides guidance on how landscape character should be considered as part of development proposals. Site proposers will need to refer to this assessment to respond to Question 44 on the Candidate Site Submission Form.
The Powys Replacement LDP will be supported by certain assessment processes aimed at ensuring that the plan contributes towards sustainable development, well-being, and other requirements around equality, health, Welsh language, and the environment. The following documents provide an overview of the main assessment processes and their key elements:
What happens next?
All submissions will be published in a Candidate Sites Register at the Preferred Strategy Stage (May/June 2023). Sites proposed after the Preferred Strategy stage will have a reduced chance of being considered suitable for inclusion in the plan. Additionally, site proposers should be aware that not submitting sufficiently detailed information may result in a site not being taken forward