A guide to Damp and Condensation
Is your dampness caused by condensation?
There are three main ways to tackle the problem
1. Stop moisture building up
- Wipe down surfaces where moisture settles.
- Cover boiling pans when cooking.
- When cooking, bathing or washing and drying clothes, close kitchen and bathroom doors to prevent steam going into colder rooms, even after you have finished.
- Cover fish tanks to stop the water evaporating into the air.
- Dry clothes outside where possible.
- Do not hang washing over radiators.
2. How to ventilate, or air, the home
- When cooking or washing, open windows or use extractors.
- Where drying clothes inside is necessary, do so in a small room with windows open.
- Open windows for a while each day or use the trickle/night vents.
- Do not block air vents, this is also important where gas and heating appliances are concerned as they need a supply of oxygen to work effectively and allow gases, such as carbon monoxide, to escape.
- Allow air to circulate around furniture and in cupboards, you can do this by making sure cupboards and wardrobes aren't overfilled and there is space between the furniture and the wall.
3. Keep your home warm
- Draught proofing will keep your home warmer and help reduce fuel bills. When the whole house is warmer, condensation is less likely to form.
- Insulating your loft and walls will help. If yours are not insulated, please contact us for details of work planned for your area or advice on energy efficiency.
- Maintain a low heat when the weather is cold or wet, this is more effective than short bursts of high heat.
Always ensure that you do not
- Block permanent ventilators e.g. airbricks or trickle/night vents.
- Completely block chimney. Instead leave a hole about two bricks in size and fit a louvered grille over it.
- Draught proof rooms where there is a cooker or fuel burner heater, for example, a gas fire.
- Draught proof windows in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Do not disturb mould by brushing or vacuum cleaning. This can increase the risk of respiratory problems.