Conditions for renting a council garage
An offer of tenancy of a garage will be made on the following conditions:
- The garage is used for the storage of any vehicle that may fit in the garage, such as cars, motorcycles, bicycles, boats, and small commercial vehicles.
- The garage may also be used for storing other items such as tools and garden implements but not flammable materials, poisons, or chemicals.
- The garage is not used for business purposes.
- The garage is not sub-let to anyone else.
- If the applicant is a council tenant, or if the applicant already rents a garage from the council, all rent accounts must be clear.
Rent (plus VAT for non-council tenants) is payable on or before the date on which the garage tenancy begins.
When you rent a garage, you will be required to sign acceptance of the garage tenancy agreement which sets out the terms and conditions in full, including arrangements for the Council and tenant to end the tenancy.
The Council will periodically undertake checks to ensure that garages are being used for vehicle storage. When a tenant is not using a garage for vehicle storage, the Council will issue the appropriate notice requiring the tenant to give vacant possession and return the full set of keys to the appropriate Council office within 28 days.