Prohibited & Permitted Employment for Children (Child Employment Permits)
Prohibited Employment for Children
No child of any age may be employed in the following:-
- in a cinema, theatre, discotheque, dance hall or night club, except in connection with a performance given entirely by children.
- to sell or deliver alcohol, except in sealed containers.
- to deliver milk.
- to deliver fuel oils.
- in a commercial kitchen.
- to collect or sort refuse.
- in any work which is more than three meters above ground/ floor level.
- in employment involving harmful exposure to physical, biological or chemical agents.
- to collect money or canvass door to door except under the supervision of an adult.
- in work involving exposure to adult material or in situations which are for this reason otherwise unsuitable for children.
- in telephone sales.
- in any slaughterhouse or in that part of any butcher's shop or other premises connected with the killing of livestock, butchery, or the preparation of carcasses or meat for sale.
- as an attendant or assistant in a fairground or amusement arcade or in any other premises used for the purpose of public amusement by means of automatic machines, games or chance or skill or similar device.
- in the personal care of residents of any residential care home or nursing home.
This does not prevent children taking part in a performance under the provisions of a licence granted in accordance with the Children and Young Persons Act 1963 and The Children (Performances and Activities) (Wales) Regulations 2015.
Permitted employment of children aged 14 or over
A child aged 14 or over may be employed only in light work
Permitted employment of children aged 13
A child aged 13 may be employed only in light work in the following categories:
- agricultural or horticultural work
- delivery of newspapers, journals and other printed material
- shop work, including shelf stacking
- hairdressing salons
- office work
- car washing by hand in a private residential setting
- in a café or restaurant
- in riding stables
- domestic work in hotels and other establishments offering accommodation
Follow us on:
Follow us on: