Sports Grounds Safety Certificates

We issue safety certificates for sports grounds. This certificate ensures the safety of spectators. Even if a sports ground doesn't need a safety certificate, you'll still need a safety certificate for any covered stand that holds 500 or more spectators.


What needs a safety certificate?

Safety certificates are needed for:

  • stadia with a capacity for 10,000 or more spectators
  • all premier and football league stadia
  • Regulated stands (grounds with covered stands that can hold 500 or more spectators).

A safety certificate may be either:

  • a general certificate which allows the use of a sports ground for specified activities for an indefinite period
  • a special safety certificate for specified activities on a particular occasion.

You must comply with any terms or conditions attached to a certificate.

To be eligible for a safety certificate, you must be able to ensure that the terms and conditions of a certificate are met.


How to apply

Please use the links on the right of this page to apply or ask for more information.

Completed application forms should be accompanied by:

  • risk assessments
  • contingency plans
  • safety policy for spectators
  • name and qualifications of the safety officer.

You must provide any information and plans we ask for by the deadline we set. If you fail to do this we will assume that your application has been withdrawn.

We will decide whether the applicant is able to make sure that the terms and conditions of the certificate are met. If an application is made to transfer a certificate, we must decide whether the person would qualify for a certificate if they applied for one.  Either the current holder of the certificate or the person to whom the certificate is to be transferred can apply for a transfer.

We will send a copy of your application to the chief police officer, the fire and rescue authority and the building authority. Each of these bodies will be asked to comment on the terms and conditions to be included in a certificate or any proposed amendment, replacement or transfer.

If you haven't heard from us within 14 calendar days of submitting your request., please contact us. You can do this using the contact details to the right of this page.



If you're unhappy about our decision, please contact us to discuss it before making an appeal.

Anyone refused a safety certificate because they are not considered to be an eligible person can appeal to the Magistrates' court.

Anyone refused a special safety certificate may also appeal to the Magistrates' court unless the refusal is because they are not an eligible person.

If you are responsible for making sure the terms and conditions of the safety certificate are met, you can appeal to the Magistrate's court against:

  • any condition attached to a certificate,
  • anything left out of a certificate,
  • the refusal to amend or replace a safety certificate.

You can also appeal to the county court against an order of the Magistrate's court.


Consumer Complaint

If you have a complaint about sports ground safety, please contact your local office using the details on this page.


Application forms

Apply online using the link below.  The link takes you to another government website.

Apply for a sports ground safety certificate

Change a safety certificate for a sports ground

Apply for a regulated stand certificate

You can also get application forms from us using the contact details on this page. Please complete the form and return it to the area licensing office.

You will be charged for this application.

View fees and charges here


  • Email:
  • Phone: 01597 827467
  • North Powys Address: Environmental Health, Neuadd Maldwyn, Severn Road, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 7AS
  • South Powys Address: Environmental Health, Neuadd Brycheiniog, Cambrian Way, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7HR
  • Mid Powys Address: Environmental Health, The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA


Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon