NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Road opening licence (excavations etc)

Click here to go to the 'Road opening licence (excavations etc)' page

Road opening licence (excavations etc)Any private contractors who want to carry out roadwork excavations in the highway must apply for and be granted a licence before work starts. The 'highway' includes carriageway, footway and verge.

Carrying out such work without a licence is an offence and may result in prosecution.

Licences are needed in order to lay new or maintain existing apparatus - for example pipes or cables.

Licences are issued for such works as sewer connections, private water supplies, trial holes and boundary wall foundations etc. under the New Roads and Street Works Act section 50, or Highways Act section 171.

If you need to place building materials on any part of the highway, please apply for a licence.

View public register of licences

If you're unhappy with our decision, please contact us to discuss it.


Complaints about roadworks

Any complaints about the location or safety of roadworks should be reported as soon as possible using the contact details on this page. One of our inspectors will go to the site to assess the safety of the site and take any necessary action.


Application forms

Download an application form [78KB]

(If you have not heard from us within 28 calendar days of submitting your request, please contact us.)

You will be charged a fee for this licence.




Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon