NEW: Manage your Council Tax and Business Rates direct debits in My Account
Read more

Licences to work on or near roads

To work on or occupy a public highway you must apply for the appropriate licence.  The term 'highway' includes roads, lanes, carriageways, pavements, footways and verges.


If you're carrying out building or maintenance work, you may need to put a skip on the road. The skip operator will need permission to place the skip on the road.
If you're carrying out any building work/maintenance/erection of seasonal decorations (bunting) or removal of any part of a property which is next to the public highway (road, pavement or rear lane), the safety of all users of the highway is paramount.
If you need to place building materials on any part of the highway, you will need a licence from the Council. These licences are normally provided under the Highways Act section 171.
Any private contractors who want to carry out roadwork excavations in the highway must apply for and be granted a licence before work starts. The 'highway' includes carriageway, footway and verge.
If you need access between your home and the highway and the area between the home and the road needs to be changed to allow this, you'll need permission from the Highway Authority before work can begin.
The council does not licence the use of any pavement, road, verge or other highway for street displays; advertising signs; trading or pavement cafés.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon