NOTICE: Garden Waste update

Read more about View full notice

Club licences

Club licences
Club licences

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for social, sporting or political purposes and buy alcohol in bulk to supply in the club.  A club premises certificate authorises a club to carry out club activities such as supplying alcohol and providing entertainment.

Clubs have special licence requirements as technically they only sell alcohol by retail to guests, as alcohol stock is owned by the members. Visitors to a club may be supplied with alcohol as long as they are genuine guests of a member of the club or the club collectively.

A qualifying club must fulfil these conditions:

  • a person may not be given membership or membership privileges within two days of their application for membership
  • the club must be established and conducted in good faith
  • the club must have at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises by the club

Additional conditions about the supply of alcohol are:

  • alcohol supplied by the club must be purchased by members of club who are over 18 years old and have been elected to do so by the members
  • nobody receives any commission, payment or other financial benefit when they purchase alcohol for the club.

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies qualify if alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club under the control of the members. Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. To find out whether your institute is eligible, please contact us.

More information about licensing

There is no time-limit on the certificate (unless you ask for one). It lasts until you decide to give it up or you break the terms and the certificate is revoked.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint about a business with a club premises certificate, please contact us using the details on this page.

Once we've granted a certificate, an interested party may appeal if they feel that the application should have been refused or that we should have set conditions or limitations on the club's activities. They can also appeal against a review decision.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Any club member or interested party may ask us to review the certificate. We will share our response to these requests in a notice. You can appeal against the decision of a review.

Making changes

If you're only making make small changes to the situation described in the licence, you can apply for a minor variation

Tell us about a change to your existing details or club rules

Tell us about a change to your existing club premises




Feedback about a page here

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon