Toggle mobile menu visibility

View full notice

Notice: Do you need help with your benefits?

Apply for a housing swap

Did you know that social tenants can apply to swap homes with tenants of other local authorities or housing associations, if for example, they are moving to a different town or looking for a bigger or smaller home?

This is called a mutual exchange.

There are certain conditions that must be met for an exchange to take place.

  • You must be a secure tenant/ contract holder. If you are not sure what type of tenancy you have, ask your landlord.
  • You must have consent from your landlord.

In general, your landlord should give consent, unless it is reasonable not to do so. Consent can be conditional, but any conditions must be reasonable.

Examples of what your landlord may take into consideration include the following:

  • Your conduct as a tenant (and that of other household members).
  • Any monies owed to your landlord (including rent, service charges, recharges)
  • The size and type of property you wish to move to (in accordance with the Homes in Powys Common Allocation Scheme)
  • Other circumstances as per Schedule 6 of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016
  • You must have inspected the property you wish to move to and be prepared to accept it in its present condition.
  • The exchange must be genuine, with all parties moving to the new property as their permanent home.

Where consent has been given, you MUST NOT move until a date has been agreed by your housing officer and all safety checks have been carried out and passed. Failure to comply with this, may result in you being asked to return to your original property.

Your landlord must give you an answer within one month of receiving the request or if they have asked you for further information, within one month of all the information being provided.

If you would like to apply for a mutual exchange, please complete the application below:

Make an application Ask for a Mutual Exchange



Feedback about a page here