Our repair responsibilities
If you're a council tenant, it's our job to keep the structure, outside and common parts of your home in a good state of repair. We're also responsible for any appliance we provided for heating, hot water or sanitation, and for your gas, water and electricity supplies.
Our responsibilities include:
- roofs, walls and floors
- common areas like stairways, lifts and passageways
- windows and external doors (including frames, thresholds and any fittings)
- gutters, down pipes, waste pipes and drains (but not clearing blocked drains)
- chimneys and flues including annual sweeping of chimneys
- internal walls, door frames, floors and ceilings (but not internal painting and decorating)
- internal plasterwork (except minor cracks and stains)
- heating systems and equipment installed by the us.
- smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- gas pipes and electrical wiring
- sinks, basins, baths and toilets
- banisters and handrails
- Main paths (to front and back door), steps and front and rear fencing
- kitchen units / fittings
- ceramic wall tiling
If we have to carry out a repair because of wilful neglect or damage, and not fair wear and tear, you will be charged for the work.
We operate a Repair by Appointment service. This means that we carry out our works at a time to suit you between the hours of 8:00 and 16:00 hours Monday to Friday.
When you request a repair, we will ask you when you would like us to come. We will make an appointment to come at the time and date you specify. Where possible we try to complete repairs on the first visit. Some more complex repairs, requiring non-standard materials, may need follow up visits. If this is the case, we will make further appointments with you at a time and date to suit you.
Emergency repairs - within 24 hours
These are repairs needed to avoid danger to occupants or serious damage to the property. Examples include major pipe leaks, total power failure, serious roof defects, lightning, storm or flood damage, blocked or broken toilets, broken soil pipes.