Toggle mobile menu visibility

Eligibility for help with homelessness

We may not be able to help you under our Homelessness Duties if:

  • You haven't lived in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the last 5 years, and you are not considered to be a settled resident here
  • You are a European national in breach of a "Residence Directive"
  • You have claimed asylum since arriving in this country from abroad or as you entered this country and your application is still being considered by the Home Office
  • You are an illegal immigrant
  • You have overstayed your leave to live in the UK
  • You have limited leave to remain in this country (for example students or visitors), and are not allowed to claim public help with money or housing.

If you are an asylum seeker and not eligible for housing, we can still give you advice about other agencies who might be able to help you.

Local Connection

If you do not have a local connection to Powys, your caseworker may look to refer you back to your "home" area by contacting another Council.

You have a local connection if you have:

  • Lived in Powys for 3 years out of the last 5 years
  • Lived in Powys for 6 months out of the last 12 months
  • Stable employment in Powys
  • Close relatives who have lived in Powys for the last 5 years



Feedback about a page here