Should you apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit?
Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. From 10/10/2018 anyone of working age who doesn't currently receive Housing Benefit in Powys must claim Universal Credit.
You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:
- you're getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it (ends 27th January 2021)
- you have reached State Pension Age and do not have a partner of working age
- you live in temporary accommodation
- you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens
If not then you will need to claim Universal Credit
How to claim
The quickest way to claim is to complete the application form online, however if you do need help please contact us.
Things to remember
- Do not delay sending the form in as it will affect when we can start to pay you from.
- If you are applying for Housing Benefit, you can use the same form to claim help towards Council Tax (Reduction), Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants all at the same time.
- You won't get any benefit if you don't claim.
You can ask us to call you. We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us
You can ask us to call you.
We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us