Council Tax reductions
The amount of Council Tax reduction you can get is worked out by looking at how much money you have coming in, your savings, your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
If your household is on a low income, you could receive support towards some or all of your Council Tax bill through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
If you are receiving the benefits below, you can make an application to have your entitlement assessed and applied to your council tax bill:
- Job Seekers Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Income Support
- You're a low income household
To work out if you're entitled to a reduction and how much it would be, we will look at your weekly income as well as if you have any capital. Capital includes savings and property you own.
How much of a reduction you are entitled to also depends on whether you are of working age or a pensioner.
You are not eligible to a reduction if you are:
- aged under 65 and have capital of £16,000 or more
- aged over 65 and have capital of £16,000 or more (unless you or your partner gets the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit)
If you receive Universal Credit you will need to apply for Council Tax Reduction if it has not already been applied to your Council Tax Bill.
How to claim
The quickest way to claim is to complete the application form online, however if you do need help please contact us
How to appeal against a decision
For details on how to appeal a council tax reduction decision follow this link: https://www.valuationtribunal.wales/council-tax-reduction.html
Things to remember
- Do not delay sending the form in as it will affect when we can start to pay you from.
- If you are applying for Housing Benefit, you can use the same form to claim help towards Council Tax (Reduction), Free School Meals and School Clothing Grants all at the same time.
- You won't get any benefit if you don't claim.
You can ask us to call you. We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us
You can ask us to call you.
We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us