Council Tax: When an adult has died

We understand how difficult it is when you are dealing with a bereavement.  We need to know when an adult from your home has died so that we can make sure you only pay the right amount of Council Tax and no more.

You must also register the death separately. 

When an adult has died and someone continues to live at the property, we need to know who has died and who is dealing with their estate. We also need to know in whose name the Council Tax bill will be.

If only one adult remains in the home they may be eligible for a single person discount.

Claim a single person discount Council Tax: Single Person Discount Claim form

To make sure that you are paying the right amount of Council Tax and no more:

Check Council Tax discounts and reductions

Tell Council Tax when an adult has died here Council Tax: When an adult has died form

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon