Discretionary Housing Payments
We can consider a variety of situations and the payments are designed to help people in exceptional circumstances and for short-term periods get through those difficult circumstances.
Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?
Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:
- Housing Benefit or
- Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability
You cannot get a DHP to help with Council Tax, you will need to claim Council Tax Reduction
The government has given councils funding to give DHPs to people who have been impacted by welfare reforms including:
- the benefit cap
- removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector (bedroom tax)
- changes to Local Housing Allowance rates, including the 4 year freeze
Some people may qualify for longer term support.
How can a payment be used?
You may be given a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:
- a rent shortfall
- rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home
- Essential furniture if you are homeless
- Help to move house if its to improve your rental situation
- In some cases a payment towards rent arrears if you are facing eviction
Each case is assessed on its individual merits and we do need to ensure that any payment will help you to move towards a better situation, circumstance or outcome. We will therefore expect you to work with us or our partner support agencies to find better solutions to your situation.
Any Discretionary Housing Payment awarded towards rental payments will be paid along with your award of Housing Benefit either to you or direct to your Landlord. Any one off payments of support will generally be paid directly. eg removal costs to the removal company.
You can ask us to call you. We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us
You can ask us to call you.
We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us