NOTICE: Powys schools update

Read more about View full notice

Discretionary Housing Payments

We can consider a variety of situations and the payments are designed to help people in exceptional circumstances and for short-term periods get through those difficult circumstances.


Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with Council Tax, you will need to claim Council Tax Reduction 

The government has given councils funding to give DHPs to people who have been impacted by welfare reforms including:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector (bedroom tax)
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance rates, including the 4-year freeze

Some people may qualify for longer term support.


How can a payment be used?

You may be given a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:

  • a rent shortfall
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home
  • Essential furniture if you are homeless
  • Help to move house if its to improve your rental situation
  • In some cases a payment towards rent arrears if you are facing eviction

Each case is assessed on its individual merits and we do need to ensure that any payment will help you to move towards a better situation, circumstance or outcome. We will therefore expect you to work with us or our partner support agencies to find better solutions to your situation.

Any Discretionary Housing Payment awarded towards rental payments will be paid along with your award of Housing Benefit either to you or direct to your Landlord. Any one off payments of support will generally be paid directly, eg removal costs to the removal company.


How to claim

The quickest way to claim is to complete the application form online, however if you do need help please contact us

Complete the Discretionary Housing Payment claim form online Complete the Discretionary Housing Payment claim form online

Need help with benefits entitlement or Money advice? Need help with benefits entitlement or Money advice?

Universal Credit - Are YOU affected? How benefits are changing



Contacts for:

  • Phone: 01597 827462 (all areas)
  • North Powys email: / Address: Neuadd Maldwyn, Severn Road, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 7AS
  • South Powys email: /  Address: Neuadd Brycheiniog, Cambrian Way, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7HR
  • Mid Powys email: / Address: The Gwalia, Ithon Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6AA

You can ask us to call you.

We have face to face appointments available at our offices in Brecon, Llandrindod Wells, Welshpool and Ystradgynlais. To make an appointment please call us

Feedback about a page here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon